Afrika Tikkun runs ahead and beats last year fundraising with SafeliteAutoglass
Safelite AutoGlass® successfully completed its 2nd Annual Safelite® Challenge, a fundraising effort for Afrika Tikkun, on April 16 in Lake Mead, Las Vegas. The benefit invited Safelite’s associates to participate in a number of ways while raising funds for the South African based charity: individual or team triathlon or duathlon, a 5K fun walk, a charity poker run on motorcycles or a weight loss contest. An online auction where employees bid on items donated by the company’s management team and vendors also supported the cause. As a result, the Safelite® Challenge donated $250,000 to Afrika Tikkun.
Established in 1994, Afrika Tikkun (formerly MaAfrika Tikkun) works toward the transformation of South African communities by caring for vulnerable children and orphans, not only providing vital care, but also building the skills needed to succeed in life. More than 800,000 families live in the communities supported by Afrika Tikkun. Nelson Mandela is a Chief Patron and has hailed Afrika Tikkun’s programs as a “miracle.”
The top performers of the triathlon and duathlon (individual or team) will have an opportunity to compete in the London Triathlon in July, which is Safelite’s parent company, Belron’s similar fundraiser.
The team will consist of:
1. Greg Baker, Area Sales Manager, Indianapolis, Indiana
2. Kate Buckler, Administrative Assistant, Columbus, Ohio
3. Brent Fiegel, Lead Warehouse Associate, Davenport, Iowa
4. Donna Gibson, Compensation & Benefits Senior Manager, Columbus, Ohio (Top Overall Female Triathlon Performance)
5. Bridget McColgan, National Field Sales Trainer, Columbus, Ohio
6. Jonathan Knight, Technician, Boulder, Colorado
7. Paul Koehler, IT Director, Columbus, Ohio (Top Overall Male Triathlon Performance)
8. Jolee Nowers, Area Sales Manager, Bluffdale, Utah
9. Amy Robinson, Recruiting Specialist, Columbus, Ohio
In addition, the top eight individual Safelite® associates who raised the most funds earned the opportunity to attend the London Triathlon. They are:
1. Mike Hooper, Area Sales Manager, Kansas City, Missouri
2. Rich Glover, Assistant Vice President of Manufacturing and Distribution Centers, Braselton, Georgia
3. Brian DiMasi, Senior Corporate Counsel, Columbus, Ohio
4. Dan Loyal, Division Manager, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5. Betsy Blake, Purchasing Director, Columbus, Ohio
6. Brian O’Mara, Vice President of National Contact Centers, Columbus, Ohio
7. Matt Johnson, Media Director, Columbus, Ohio
8. Jared Stefango, Purchasing Director, Columbus, Ohio
Finally, the winner of the weight loss contest was James Vondra who lost 27 percent body fat. Vondra, who is a warehouse lead from Omaha, Nebraska, said, “I have made a conscious effort to monitor and control my food intake on a daily basis. This accomplishment has allowed me to be more active and energized to do the things I have put off for a long time. My goal is to maintain my eating habits and to begin exercising more readily.”
Sika and PGW Glass served as co-presenting sponsors for the event. Founding sponsors were Adrian Steel, AGC, GlassMedic and Ron Foth Advertising.
“I am truly humbled by the good nature of Safelite’s people who gave so openly of their time and energy to support a good cause,” said Tom Feeney, president and CEO of Safelite AutoGlass®. “It’s these people who make Safelite what it is – people-focused and compassionate. Our sponsors who supported us financially and by attending the fundraiser are also deeply appreciated.”
More than 300 people participated in the 2011 Safelite® Challenge with more than 200 from 30 states and four countries attending the Las Vegas event.